Skylights are often overlooked when we are renovating or building a new home. It is typical to maximize our use of windows, but if we consider the many benefits of a skylight, you may find that having one installed is in your next renovation or new-build plans.
Here are 5 benefits of skylights:
1. The overhead natural light provides a calm ambience that can’t be replicated, connecting you to the outdoors. This means you can see birds flying above you, rain beating down in a storm or the stars at night.
2. You will find yourself turning on the lights less often, reducing the use of artificial lighting.
3. Skylights conveniently provide light without sacrificing privacy, such as in a bathroom.
4. They can be used strategically in a dark stairwell or other room not surrounded by an exterior wall, to keep your whole home balanced and well-lit.
5. Skylights provides a comfortable warmth, increasing the natural average temperature of your home.
If you do move forward with a skylight, have it installed by a reputable company who can advise you on the best location both in respect to your home and in a room, which will affect how much light you would get and how long it is sustained. When used strategically, skylights can truly enhance a homes interior and value.